The Clemson University Youth Learning Institute fosters a culture of excellence in youth development programming, especially with regard to the standards we set for our camp staff.
A Long History of Excellence
Since 1934, parents from SC, NC, GA and beyond have entrusted their most precious possessions—more than 333,000 kids overall—to YLI summer camps, as well as other youth development programs.
In every program, we serve with a true desire to help young people develop the friendships, responsibility, self-confidence and creativity they need to succeed in all areas of life.
In the spirit of serving youth, all camp counselors employed by the Youth Learning Institute undergo a screening process that includes national criminal background checks, employment and character reference checks, and a personal interview and evaluation.
All camp counselors employed by YLI also receive comprehensive training in a range of subjects, organized and administered by YLI professional staff members with Masters and Doctoral-level credentials.
In addition to program-specific safety and procedural training for all the fun activities at camp, other training subjects include the following:
- Child Abuse and Neglect Prevention
- Child Developmental Stages
- Cultural Competence
- Camp Dynamics
- Building Relationships
- Creating Positive Physical and Emotional Environment
- Collaborative Problem Solving
- Sportsmanship and Fair Play
- Needs of a Camper
- Building Rapport and Positive Role Modeling
- Counselor Ownership
- Customer Service
- Taking Initiative
- Emotional Bank Account / Building Self-Esteem
- ADD/ADHD, Awkward Children and Homesickness
- Communicating with Parents
- Preventing Gossip and Aggression
- Bullies and Targets
- Conflict Resolution
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention
Ready to sign up for camp?Register Now
Still have questions or concerns? Give us a call!